Every student participates in PE every day. We understand that daily movement is important not only for physical health, but also for brain development and success in learning.
The primary goals of our PE program are to 1) provide daily exercise, 2) facilitate a life-long enjoyment of exercise by helping the students discover sports or activities that they enjoy, 3) develop cooperative behavior and good sportsmanship, and 4) help students understand the value of physical activity and wellness.
We emphasize the importance of teamwork and good sportsmanship as we develop skills and enjoy cooperative games. This emphasis on cooperation rather than competitiveness helps our students develop self-confidence, peer relations, and an intrinsic enjoyment of physical activity — building a foundation for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
While many of our students can find physical challenges difficult, our small class sizes allow for each student to receive the necessary supports and individualized attention to experience success during PE.
- August: Football and team drills
- September: Basketball and team drills
- October: Soccer, team drills, and individual drills
- November: Fitness
- December: Team and individual class games (e.g., four corners, freeze tag)
- January: Field hockey
- February: Baseball
- March: Kickball tournament
- April: Dodgeball tournament
- May: Fitness review and testing