Board of Directors and Advisers
Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is a group of volunteers who meet routinely to review the management and financial security of the school.
- Bill Porter (President): Attorney – formerly a civil litigator, now practicing real estate and business law with his own firm. B.S. in Information Sciences from University of Pittsburgh. Law degree from Georgia State University. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2011.
- Lynn Schoeneck (CEO): Head of School 2016 – present; Assistant Director 2011-2016; Occupational Therapist 2004-present. M.S. in Occupational Therapy from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. in Psycology (with honors) from Wake Forest University. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2011.
- Leslie McClane (Secretary): Leslie serves as Field Coordinator and Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Social Work and Human Services at Kennesaw State University.
- Claudia Porter (Director) – Founder of Porter Academy, Head of School 2000-2016: M.A. in Speech/Language Pathology; Certified Speech/Language Therapist since 1971, GA license in Speech-Language Pathology; CA Life Teaching Certificate; developed L.D. program at High Meadows School; Program Director of North Fulton Child Development Center in Roswell; Speech Language Therapist & teacher/coordinator for the Georgia Challenge Grant Program; Kindergarten teacher in L.A. public schools. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2000.
- Tom Smith (Treasurer): President and founder of Great SSO, Inc. that provides tuition scholarships to children grades Kindergarten through twelve. Certified Public Accountant working with Melvin P. Wilkes and Company. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2011.
- Tracy Depew (Director): Tracy has an Education degree with a minor in Physical Ed. She taught elementary education for ten years and middle school for eight years. She has four children of her own, one with special needs. Her daughter is what brought her to Porter Academy. She attended Porter Academy for ten years. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2019.
- Barbara Ramer (Director): Master of Education, B.S. Education, Licensed Professional LPC in Georgia and Virginia, nationally certified counselor. Director of Rappahannock Falls Academy. President of Virginia School Counselors Association. Vice President of American School Counselors Association. President of Fredericksburg Education Association. Head of Science Department. Associate Professor at various colleges. Started working at Porter Academy in 2003. Member of Porter Academy Board from 2010-2018.
- Jody Kershner (Staff Representative): B.A. in Music Therapy; 30 years of music therapy experience in education and mental health settings; Member of American Association for Music Therapy; Trained with Dr. Gary Mesibov and Dr. Stanley Greenspan; ORFF music education; Collaborates with teachers to incorporate music into the classroom; Joined Porter Academy in 2003. Joined Porter Academy Board in 2015.
Our Advisory Board is a select group of our stakeholders convened by the organization to give advice and support.
Our Advisory Board members include:
- Dr. Nancy Reed – Ph.D. Northwestern University in Communication Disorders: Learning Disabilities; M.A. in Communication Disorders: Speech-Language Pathology; B.A. Education/Speech-Language Pathology. Certified and Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist. Last position as liaison/consultant to Regents Center for Learning Disorders at Georgia State University (1994-2010). Served on Porter Academy Board 2013-2015.
- Judy Murphy – Co-founder of Data Media Associates, nationally known company for medical business assistance. Former nurse. Now working as a full time grandmother. Served on Porter Academy Board 2010-2016.
- Dr. Sharon Berger – Doctor of Optometry; Vision Therapist since 1973; specializes in working with children and adults with special needs such as autism, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, and head injuries; written and lectured on vision and Sensory Integration
- Robert Schroeder – J.D., St. John’s University School of Law in New York, NY, Graduated with Honors in top 10% of class; B.S., Finance & Economics, St. John’s University, NY, Graduated Summa cum Laude. Partner at Robert F. Schroeder, P.C., (Formerly Malcolm & Schroeder, LLP), Atlanta, GA. 1997-present. U.S. Department of Justice, Atlanta, GA – Assistant U.S. Attorney, Northern District of Georgia, 1996-1997 & 1987-1995.
What Sets Us Apart
- Developmentally Grouped Homerooms
- Differentiated and Individualized Academic Instruction
- Utilization of a Variety of Well-Supported Academic Programs and Multi-Sensory Instruction
- Small Groups for Core Academics
- Group Speech-Language, Occupational, and Music Therapy for all