Georgia Tax Credit: Take advantage of the GA tax credit to provide scholarship money for students at Porter Academy. You'll get every dollar back when you file your tax return.
Click here for more information.
Support Porter Academy
Even though it's called "GA Gives Day", it's actually available all year.
Thank you to everyone who supported us in our self-study to become accredited by SAIS/SACS. We received news of our official accreditation Feb 15, 2013!
View our latest Weekly Newsletter
March 14: 8:30 - PPA meeting
Mar 15: 1:00 Dismissal
Mar 22: In-house field trip - Party Animals of
Apr 1-5: Spring Break - No school
Apr 19: 1:00 Dismissal
Apr 25: Frisbee Golf (rescheduled)
Apr 26: Teacher Work Day - No school
Apr 30: Golf Marathon
Apr 29 - May 3: Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3: Spring Gold Star luncheon (at school); Mr. Ed; last Safari Bucks
May 6-7: Lower School Conferences - No school for lower school students
May 8-10: Upper School Conferences - No school for upper school students May 9-10
May 15: Five Star Lunchoen (at Moe's)
May 17: Field Day, 1:00 Dismissal
May 22: Last day of school, 1:00 Dismissal
Regular School Hours
Middle School: 8:00-8:15
Afternoon carpool (all students): 3:10-3:30.
Morning Energizers is a before-school program that runs from 7:15 until 8:15 (8:00 for Middle School students).
Extended Day is offered until 6:00.
Students remaining at school at 3:30 will automatically go to Extended Day.
Our program is appropriate for students in grades Pre K-8 with any of the following difficulties:
Reading, Reading Comprehension, Spelling
Math calculation and concepts
Fine Motor, Gross Motor, and Visual Skills
- Children can reach untapped potential when provided with
- appropriate small group instruction
- social guidance
- therapeutic support
- Children are best able to succeed academically and socially when the school
- utilizes a whole-child approach
- simultaneously develops academics and foundational abilities (e.g., processing skills, attention, motor skills)
- promotes development of self-esteem and intrinsic motivation
- Regular assessments are necessary to determine the most effective intervention for each child
We serve children Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade who have difficulties with language processing,dyslexia, attention (ADHD), sensory processing, visual processing, auditory processing,motor skills (dyspraxia), organization, social skills, and self-esteem.
At Porter Academy, we take an individualized “whole child” approach. We understand that not all children fit into a mold in regards to what they need to succeed. We bring the expertise of teachers, therapists, and administrators together to develop a comprehensive understanding of each child. This enables us to determine the most effective interventions (academic, social, developmental, and emotional) for that particular child. We enable the child to experience success both through modifications and through remediation of underlying difficulties. The modifications allow for immediate success; the remediation leads to lasting success. Both lead to improved self-esteem and internal motivation to learn.
- Curriculum: Reading, Spelling, Language Arts, Handwriting, Math, Science, and Social Studies are taught to all students
- Academic Techniques
- small groups to allow for individualized assistance
- multi-sensory learning activities
- a variety of well-established learning disorder and regular academic programs, adapting the lessons to the particular needs of the children and creating our own materials where appropriate
- layering of information to facilitate retention
- differentiated learning in order to provide children with a just-right-challenge and allow them to progress at their own rate and in their own way
- All students receive therapy within a group setting
- All students participate in specials
- Students have the option of participating in Integrated Listening Systems (iLs), a program that develops the vestibular and auditory sensory systems with resultant benefits in academics and social functioning.
Porter Academy is fully accredited by The Georgia Accrediting Commission, Inc., Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). We are members of the Georgia Independent Schools Association and the Georgia Association of Private Schools for Exceptional Children.
Current Porter Families - Please complete the following survey. It will take approximately 5 minutes to complete. We greatly appreciate any input you provide that can help us to improve our program. Thank you!
Porter Academy, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax exempt school.
Porter Academy does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of gender, race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, or nation of origin.