2015-2016 School Year Calendar - PDF
Oct 1-2: MS Orange Bake Sale
Oct 3: MS Orange Zumbathon
Oct 7: PPA meeting/Fall Festival Work Day
Oct 9: No School - Teacher Work Day
Oct 13: Open House (Upper Elementary/Middle School only)- call to reserve space
Oct 16: 12:30 - Fall Festival
Oct 19-20: Elementary Conferences - No School for Elementary Students
Oct 22-23: Middle School Conferences - No School for Middle School Students
Nov 20: Grandparent/Special Friend Day; 1:00 Early Dismissal
Nov 23-27: No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
Dec 17: 1:00 Dismissal
Dec 18-Jan 4: No School - Winter Break
Jan 5: No School - Teacher Work Day
Jan 18: No School - MLK Jr. Holiday
Feb 15: No School - President's Day
Mar 11: Inclement Weather Day - No School unless need a make-up day
Apr 4-8: No School - Spring Break
Apr 15: Frisbee Golf
Apr 22: No School - Teacher Work Day
May 2-3: Elementary Conferences - No school for Elementary Students
May 5-6: Middle School Conferences - No school for Middle School Students
May 13: Field Day
May 25: 1:00 Early Dismissal; Last Day of School
Attention current Porter Academy families - Please complete the survey located at the bottom of the page to share thoughts and suggestions about our program.
Attention all Friends of Porter Academy - Please complete this survey to help us discover connections to companies or foundations that may provide grants or matching funds to Porter Academy..
Click here to take survey
Regular School Hours
Middle School: 8:00-8:15
Afternoon carpool (all students): 3:10-3:30.
Morning Energizers is a before-school program that runs from 7:15 until 8:15 (8:00 for Middle School students).
Extended Day is offered until 6:00.
Students remaining at school at 3:30 will automatically go to Extended Day.
Our program is appropriate for students in grades Pre K-8 with any of the following difficulties:
Reading, Reading Comprehension, Spelling
Math calculation and concepts
Fine Motor, Gross Motor, and Visual Skills
Porter Academy is dedicated to educating children by utilizing individualized programs that are appropriate to each student’s developmental level and learning style.
- Children can reach untapped potential when provided with
- appropriate small group instruction
- social guidance
- therapeutic support
- Children are best able to succeed academically and socially when the school
- utilizes a whole-child approach
- simultaneously develops academics and foundational abilities (e.g., processing skills, attention, motor skills)
- promotes development of self-esteem and intrinsic motivation
- Regular assessments are necessary to determine the most effective intervention for each child
We serve children Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade who have difficulties with language processing,dyslexia, attention (ADHD), sensory processing, visual processing, auditory processing,motor skills (dyspraxia), organization, social skills, and self-esteem.
At Porter Academy, we take an individualized “whole child” approach. We understand that not all children fit into a mold in regards to what they need to succeed. We bring the expertise of teachers, therapists, and administrators together to develop a comprehensive understanding of each child. This enables us to determine the most effective interventions (academic, social, developmental, and emotional) for that particular child. We enable the child to experience success both through modifications and through remediation of underlying difficulties. The modifications allow for immediate success; the remediation leads to lasting success. Both lead to improved self-esteem and internal motivation to learn.
- Curriculum: Reading, Spelling, Language Arts, Handwriting, Math, Science, and Social Studies are taught to all students
- Academic Techniques
- small groups to allow for individualized assistance
- multi-sensory learning activities
- a variety of well-established learning disorder and regular academic programs, adapting the lessons to the particular needs of the children and creating our own materials where appropriate
- layering of information to facilitate retention
- differentiated learning in order to provide children with a just-right-challenge and allow them to progress at their own rate and in their own way
- All students receive therapy within a group setting
- All students participate in specials
- Students have the option of participating in Integrated Listening Systems (iLs), a program that develops the vestibular and auditory sensory systems with resultant benefits in academics and social functioning.
Porter Academy is fully accredited by The Georgia Accrediting Commission, Inc., Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). We are members of the Georgia Independent Schools Association and the Georgia Association of Private Schools for Exceptional Children.
Current Porter Families - Please complete the following survey. It will take approximately 5 minutes to complete. We greatly appreciate any input you provide that can help us to improve our program. Thank you!
Porter Academy, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax exempt school.
Porter Academy does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of gender, race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, or nation of origin.